Laparoscopic surgery also referred as Keyhole surgery is a way of performing a surgery with the support of video camera and many thin instruments. Instead of making a large incision (or cut) for certain operations, surgeons make tiny incisions and insert thin instruments and a camera into an area, such as into the abdomen, to view the internal organs and repair or remove tissue.
The Laparoscopy procedure
In a laparoscopy, the surgeon will insert tiny fiber-optic instruments are inserted into the body through small surgical openings. Then inserts a video camera into the opening, which guides the surgeon to manipulate the instruments through other openings. Sometimes, the surgeon will make only one incision and all the instruments will be inserted through that incision which is known as single incision laparoscopic surgery or SILS. The following are the steps of an abdominal laparoscopy:
- After the patient gets asleep by giving anesthesia, the surgeon will make a small incision near the navel and inserts a hollow, thin tube called a trocar through the incision. This tube extends from inside the abdomen to the outside.
- Then the surgeon injects Carbon dioxide gas into the abdomen to expand it and to get room to view the organs.
- The surgeon then inserts a laparoscope with a high-intensity light and very tiny camera, into the abdomen through the trocar. The surgeon then views a large image from the camera on a monitor in the operating room.
- Then the surgeon will insert other instruments through the other small incisions and manipulate these instruments to perform the procedure
- Once the procedure is performed, the surgeon removes the instruments.
- Finally the incisions are stitched closed, and bandages are placed over them.
- As this procedure is carried out by making small incisions, there will be a very less post operative pain as compared to open surgery.
- After a Laparoscopic surgery, patients are not required to spend longer duration in the hospital.
- Lower risk of surgical site infection.
- Lower risk of an incisional hernia.
- The patients can return back to their routine activities at a faster rate
Billroth Hospitals has a good team of skilled doctors who perform Laparoscopic Surgery in Chennai, using advanced technology. In the hospital, the Best Laparoscopic Surgeons in Chennai, will treat your condition professionally & effectively with utmost care.
Visit Us : gastro-chennai.billrothhospitals.com
Mail Us : firstname.lastname@example.org